The quaint, shrivelled up little berry you spot in the health aisle of most supermarkets is keeping a few secrets that only a few know. The goji berry, also known as the wolfberry, comes from the same family from which tomatoes, potatoes, chilli peppers and even tobacco originate, and it is a powerful little fruit that packs a punch!
Although they hail from China, the goji berry grows well in South Africa. They grow as a shrub, with long stems and small green leaves. Late in the summer, the plant bears stunning rich purple flowers which then give way to juicy fruits, generally in their second year of growth. As the plant matures, the fruits tend to become sweeter!
While the goji berry is highly adaptable to most environments, and has proven time and again to be very durable, when you buy your Goji Berry plant from Just Berry Plants, we’ll give you plenty of helpful information to ensure that you get the most out of your plant.
Fun Facts and Health Benefits
- In the rise of the organic movement which has gripped the globe, South Africans have fully embraced the healthier lifestyle, especially when it comes to the foods they consume. Goji berries are considered “Superfruits” and this is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the numerous interesting things about the plant.
- Other facts and health benefits include:
- The goji berry was widely used in ancient China as a remedy for all kinds of ailments including kidney issues, liver problems and to treat various eye-related illnesses.
- They can be consumed dried, cooked or raw and have been used to make wines, juices and herbal teas.
- The berries are packed full of Vitamin C, Vitamins B1 and B2, lycopene (which is a powerful antioxidant), beta-carotene (good for the eyes and to boost the immune system), and lutein (also good for the eyes).
- There has been some research which has shown that the berries can promote feelings of calmness and can be beneficial in improving sleep quality. They can also help those who consume them to experience more feelings of contentment.
- When eaten on a daily basis, goji berries have the power to give you a glowing complexion. As a result, many beauty brands use goji oil in their skincare products. The berries also have an impact on the signs of ageing, they reduce irritation and they can manage the harmful effects of the sun.
- Goji berries have been linked to improving energy. Those who consume the berries have shown signs of recovering quicker after intensive exercise. The berries have also shown signs of improving performance.
- Those who are looking for a natural weight loss aid might find an ally with the goji berry. They release sugar into the bloodstream slowly which tends to prevent the desire to binge eat.
Finally, there is a legend which says that a man by the name of Li Qing Yuen lived to the impressive age of 252 years old, simply because he ate goji berries every day! Of course, this claim is completely unsupported, but it doesn’t hurt to imagine the possibilities of this powerful fruit.